Resins!

30 Jan 2017
Nino /
I use polyurethane resin to produce my mannequins, but I had never considered making my toy soldiers in resin or palstic. Now, with the help of a friend who introduced me to some resin miniature specialists, I have produced a test run of resin castings of one of my Woodland Indians. The results are truly [...]
Read More

More Woodland Indians

19 Jan 2017
Nino /
I wanted one of my Woodland Indians to wear leggings, or mitasses. The option was between wrap-around cloth leggings or center-seam leather ones. In the event I choose the latter. The leggings are suspended to the warrior's waist with narrow strings attached to the breechclout belt. In addition, colorful ribbon garters are worn just below the knees. [...]
Read More

Woodland Indians

14 Jan 2017
Nino /
You can see here the masters of two of my Woodland Indians, built from my resin anatomy mannequins. The heads and arms come as separate parts, as required to minimize undercuts when making the RTV silicon rubber molds I use for low-volume batch production in white metal. The head (or, rather, the face) of the standing figure is [...]
Read More

Canadians

07 Jan 2017
Nino /
These are the master and primed metal casting of one of my Canadians, a Militiaman or maybe a Coureur des Bois, ca. 1745. As usual, the starting point is a resin casting of one of my anatomy mannequins, to which I have added the details with DURO epoxy putty. I made the head in A+B putty, [...]
Read More

Flintlock muskets

Nino /
Here is the master of a French trade gun (Fusil de Chasse), made of balsa wood, A+B putty, lead foil, styrene sheet, and sewing pins for the barrel and ramroad. Below is a white-metal casting of the same. Since the lock is the most complex part of the musket, I have used locks removed from scrap [...]
Read More

Mannequins and masters

Nino /

I build all my masters from scratch using epoxy putty, mostly A+B and DURO, and other materials. To save time, however, I produce basic resin mannequins that I can use as a base for new masters. Shown here is an early anatomy mannequin made of A+B epoxy putty (I now use almost exclusively DURO), and some partial […]

Read More